Monday, February 2, 2009

Week 4 Day 1

Last week I was unable to post because I had to cancel class due to my dogs having an emergency. I was at the vet all of Monday. By Wednesday we had so much to catch up on that I was basically answering questions and giving information out while the students worked on their own blogs.
I passed out paper #1 along with the rubric. Students asked some great questions, but it seemed like overall their understanding was clear. Their first drafts are due today and they will be workshopping them for most of the class. I arranged them into groups of 4 that they will meet with for the remainder of the semester. It was a little bit confusing at first especially because I had put them into groups of 3, forgetting that each row had 4 desks. I quickly rearranged those groups so that each row had the group members. They'll be responsible for e-mailing the drafts to each other and then reading over them and commenting thoughtfully. I expect it to take around an hour and a half, so today will be stretched for time.
I asked the students to upload their second draft by tomorrow at 12 a.m. so that I can comment on them and get them back by Thursday evening. This gives me ample time to comment and read through their drafts as well as gives them plenty of time to rework their papers until the due date, Monday at 12:40 p.m.
So far, as the class goes, discussions have been great, but I'm trying out the Wiki for today for the students to talk about their first drafts publically and collaborate on any issues they seem to be having. This is the first time I've tried to use a wiki for such and I'm hoping that it will be beneficial to them as well as to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had a blog! How did you find out about mine!?

P.S. I know how you feel about the vet thing... I was at the vet with Chloe yesterday and they had to run a bunch of tests on her because she's sick, yet again... She has some sort of disease, thank god it's curable. I feel so bad for her, it's like one thing after another.